Thursday, November 5, 2009

Not Being Thankful Enough


After my second hip surgery and recovery I started getting really antsy about exercise. Unfortunately, due to arthritis in my knee, I found myself unable to do very much except very gentle yoga and walking. Well, I wasn't thankful enough about being able to do even that.

Because my operated hip has been giving me grief recently, I have had to stop walking and boy do I miss it. I have been avoiding any sort of walk that's more than 5 minutes in an effort to let my hip rest. My yoga therapist and I think that somehow I've irritated some soft tissue around the implant and the only real solution is rest. My yoga practice is so gently you practically wouldn't know it's there and what with little to no walking, I feel half-alive.

Today, I decided to give my hip a bit of a whirl. I had to go to work, followed by a dentist's appointment and then my yoga lesson. I live about 10 minutes' walk from the subway and the place I was working was maybe another 5 minutes' walk from the subway, so I decided to leave the car at home and try out the hip. My dentist is also right near the subway, so instead of going home, I just went straight to his office and had lunch before going to the appointment.

(Slight parentheses: I ordered a tuna wrap for lunch at a fast food place. It really seemed quite good--lots of veggies and not at all loaded with mayo. But I was shocked at how big it was. It probably weighed about 250 grams or more. The NewMe ate less than half, wrapped up the rest and now it's sitting in the fridge. I might not get around to ever finishing it.)

After my dentist's appointment, I walked home. It just didn't make sense to take the bus. I would have had to walk over to the bus (it wasn't right next door) and then walk a long block home once I'd gotten off the bus. So I walked another 15 minutes or so. It's 5:10 p.m. right now and I've already clocked over 10,000 steps. (My yoga teacher lives in a hard place to get to by public transit so I did take my car to get there.)

I think the jury's still out on how I feel. I can "feel" my hip joint, which is not good, but I don't feel really bad. Tonight, I'll try to take it easy. Lots of TV watching. Is anyone watching "Flashforward"? As a rule, I don't like science fiction, but this show is pretty cool. I also happen to know the man who wrote the book the show is based on.

I'm seeing my surgeon next Wednesday. Gotta rest more between now and then.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you really pounded the pavement. Nice NSV with the sandwich. There was a time when I would have eaten all of any size sandwich. I remember reading about a research group that was give bowls of soup that were tricked up to keep filling with soup from the bottom, unbeknowst to the diners. The overweight group just kept eating and eating, and I remember thinking I'd probably still be at the table trying to finish off that soup.

    Good luck with the hip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're walking if it's driving you nuts not to do so (and I completely understand). I hope you are able to continue without harming yourself in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just glad to hear that when you rest it feels better!! Hopefully you'll get good news from the surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am like that with shop sanwiches now. I just can't eat it all. In fact I haven't even been able to finish my breakfast this morning.

    Your post has got me thinking. I need to be thankful that I am able to walk and run if I want to (did some wii fit jogging this morning) I need to be thankful that I don't have any serious health problems.

    Hope your surgeon has some good news for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your hip and the lack of walking. That would drive me nuts too, but it sounds as if you got some walking in without too much trouble. Good that you have decided to rest up a bit though.
    Great job on only eating half the sandwich!
    I haven't watched FlashForward yet, but have been intrigued. Would you rate it PG, PG-13, or R? I ask only because most of my TV watching time happens with the children via Hulu these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy,

    The sad truth is that I'm always rather tired around 8 p.m. so I tend to doze through Flashforward. But aside from the regular TV violence (guns, bombs), it's pretty tame. No "inappropriate" stuff going on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you lots of best wishes and positive thoughts for your meeting with your surgeon.

    Just wondered if swimming (gently) is any good ? I found this helped me after I had some shoulder surgery last year, even though I hardly "swam" at first - just moved the joint with the water supporting me. Apologies if this is a useless or unwanted suggestion!

    ReplyDelete