Friday, June 12, 2009

My Mantra

I've had a busy week work-wise, almost ending up in Kingston for two days. That would have been a 2 1/2 hour drive each way, traffic permitting. Thankfully, I did not have to go, but did do an unexpected day of work yesterday. Today, I finished off a translation, went to pick up my knee x-rays (geez, I hate that clinic) and will soon be off to yoga.

But before I go, I would like to tell you about my mantra and how helpful it is to me.

Here it is:

"Don't worry. You can have it later when you're hungry again."

It's long and lacking in elegance, but it's very meaningful to me. It means that I don't have to deny myself anything. I just have to find the right time to eat it and the right time is when I feel like eating it and have the room in my stomach to do so.

Practically speaking, this mantra means that I actually do eat less of the stuff that's "bad" for me, even though I detest that word. Why? Because I only crave sweets after my hunger's been satisfied. I don't crave sweets when I'm hungry. Full disclosure: sometimes I will have a bit of a sweet like a large spoonful of ice cream after my meal, but I soothe myself by saying that I can have more if I really want it...just later! And often, later gets forgotten.

Sometimes, it's not that easy, but who said life was easy?

Gotta run to yoga now!

1 comment:

  1. That's a novel approach. It's amazing how much of our hunger is a "right now" thing. If you can get past the moment, it often just drifts off.

    ReplyDelete