Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ouch!

Yesterday, I had a particularly tough workout at my yoga lesson. I have had a recurring pain between my shoulder blades for many, many years, but it has gotten worse recently so my yoga teacher spent virtually the whole lesson on my upper back and shoulders. Last night, I realized that all this work had irritated a nerve, which is now causing me discomfort in the crook of my arm. I have e-mailed my teacher and in the meantime will try to rest the arm a bit (I shouldn't stay on the computer too long, since the pain is in the arm that moves the mouse!).

Curses, foiled again!

On a different note, today there were two really interesting articles in Canada's national newspaper, the Globe and Mail (in my opinion, one of North America's better dailies, along with the New York Times). "The Sickly Side of Sweet" discusses the dangers of high fructose corn syrup, which is used to sweeten so many foods. Yes Virginia, there is something worse than sugar.

The other article, on conditioned hypereating, is a must-read for sugar addicts. In a nutshell, the article confirms what I've been reading so much about in the blogosphere: some people really do have a harder time resisting bad foods. Dr. David Kessler, the former U.S. FDA chief just published a book about what he calls "conditioned hypereating", "a willpower-sapping drive to eat high-fat, high-sugar foods even when [people are] not hungry".

There's lots of food for thought (pardon the pun!) in these articles. I'll let you read them yourselves, and give my mouse arm a rest!

1 comment:

  1. Hope your feeling better soon! Oh at work they are going to start selling iced coffee next week. I saw the vanilla base for it and guess what the first ingredient was?? HFCS!!

    ReplyDelete