Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fat Talk

OK, we're all reading these blogs because we're interested in weight loss, or simply in eating better (and we all have a different definition of what that means), or because we have some sort of eating disorder (binging, anorexia, bulimia, etc.). So we're all talking about weight and that's OK.

But I'd like to challenge you all to limit "fat talk".

What is "fat talk"? Here are some examples:

"OMG, I stuffed myself. I feel so bloated and ashamed."

"I'm really working hard on sticking to the programme. I need to lose X. I'm at my heaviest."

"Oh, I really can't eat X. I have to stay away from it or else I gain weight."

And so on and so forth.

Actually, I often find that the worst "fat talkers" are slim, young women who feel it is their duty to proclaim their (totally imagined) fatness, because you know, you can never be too thin or too rich. I have sat silent listening to this kind of garbage spewing from the mouths of people who wouldn't know a weight problem if it bit them in the behind. I am ashamed for not saying anything.

But I think we of the currently, formerly or "in the middle of being fat" persuasion also shoot ourselves down by criticizing our own appearances (fat slob, thunder thighs, paunch...). And yes, I have been just as guilty of this as anyone else.

I say "down with insulting, debasing and otherwise hating ourselves"! Treat yourself with as much love as you treat others. When was the last time you told your mother/husband/best friend how crappy they look since they gained weight? I'm sure that even if you wanted to say that, you toned down the words so that they wouldn't go away hating themselves or you. Please be just as kind to yourself.

5 comments:

  1. This is so true especially at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard not to "self hate" when you think others are already having those thoughts about you. You feel as though if you say them first, you are beating them to the punch. Learning to love yourself...fat, thin, flabby, tone, old, young, grey, etc. is all apart of the journey. Sometimes it is easy, but most often than not, you have to learn to love yourself. I always like to think of a card I once saw, it had a kitten looking in a mirror and his reflection was that of a majestic lion. It said: "What matters most, is how you see yourself". I loved that...and took it to heart. We should all look at ourselves that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just gave myself a big hug. Thanks for the reminder to be as kind to ourselves as we are to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The biggest challenge I'm facing these days is not losing weight, getting fitter or eating better, but treating myself with love. It really is a daily task and some days I am more successful than others. Fortunately I know that I can learn.

    ReplyDelete