Monday, January 2, 2012

2012

Like all good bloggers, I feel the need to recognize the new year and say something profound and thought-provoking to get us all on our way. LOL

Seriously, I wish you all a wonderful new year. May it be one of health, peace (both personal and worldwide) and self-acceptance for one and all.

I do not have any resolutions to announce.

It seems to me that if you feel that a change is necessary or useful or just plain fun to implement, you should begin it whenever it seems appropriate and not on some mythical date like January 1st. As you know, I began implementing some important mental health habits about 6 weeks ago and, though I have not seen any earth-changing turnarounds in my life, I feel that I have set out on a better, healthier, saner road and will continue to travel on it to the best of my abilities. My physical health concerns are still there, but I am working towards accepting them with more calm and equanimity. This is really important.

This year started out a bit rocky for me. On New Year's Eve, I was feeling just slightly "off". We were supposed to have supper that night at the home of friends who have two small children and around 10 p.m. we planned to head over to a new year's eve party that we've gone to for several years running. My normal appetite just wasn't there, so I ate very lightly at our friends' place. I began feeling very cold, but thought it was just because they live in an old house (similar to ours) and kept the heat down to save on energy costs. I asked for a throw blanket and snuggled on the couch. We were having a wonderful discussion and time flew by. We missed getting to the party and toasted the new year with our friends.

By this time, I felt pretty crummy and realized that there was no way we were going anywhere else but home. Fortunately, our home was only a block away. We got in the door around 1 a.m. and I promptly went to the bathroom and threw up...several times. It was not pretty. I haven't had something like this happen to me in many, many years. It was probably some kind of 24-hour bug rather than food poisoning because I was the only person to get sick. I got up at 8 a.m. to take my thyroid medication, sat down in the bathroom, got the shakes and started sweating, got back into bed and by late morning I felt a lot better.

I barely ate anything yesterday and what I did swallow really burned going down. It made me wonder how bulimics manage to throw up on a regular basis. My oesophagus felt like it had been burned to a crisp and I had only had one barfing session.

The good news is that today I feel fine.

All the best for the new year!

7 comments:

  1. what an unpleasant start to 2012. I hope you are over it soon . The year can only improve from this point!! Happy New year New Me and I hope it is a good one for you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those kinds of 24 hour bugs are the WORST. I'm so glad that you're feeling better. Here's to a belated Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best to you too, Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ellen. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Purging out the old year, perhaps? Yuck.

    Nasty viruses are going around down here too. My kid got hit on Dec. 29th. I thought that up where the world is colder it killed viruses, but apparently it's not 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yuck! Glad this malaise came & went in a hurry...
    I was momentarily gripped by nausea on New Year's Eve after my sumptuous [sarcasm] dinner, but I blamed in on residual dehydration, riding on a unseasonably warm day.
    (I've also put aside the counterproductive notion of New Year's resolutions, but Happy New Year to you & yours!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And a very HAPPY NEW YEAR to you! Sending positive thoughts for good health and continued great success in your career (filled with many peaceful moments!) Hugs! and Good Cheer! <3

    ReplyDelete