Thursday, October 6, 2016

Heading Back to Paris...and The Hague

Hello All (if there are any "All" left!),

I just re-read my last post and have only one thing to add: My cough is now back full force and when I make the mistake of forgetting one of my pills (I take four per day), there's (hack, hack) hell to pay.

I've just had a broncoscopy and, although I don't think there's anything signficantly wrong with my lungs--otherwise I would have seen the doctor as soon as I came out of the anesthetic haze--something has to be done. I'm personally all for going back on the prednisone, but this time for a few months, while weaning myself off the gabapentin. I'm seeing my doctor in less than two weeks and we'll see.

In the meantime, the big news is that I'm once again Paris bound.

A friend of mine in Paris, who is a member of the same professional association that I belong to, told me that our association will be holding a seminar in The Hague this November. The topic fascinating: international humanitarian law. Taking a professional development course is tax deductible, so what better way to go back to Europe! My stay in Paris is entirely on my own dime, but it will be wonderful and well worth it. I'm planning to go to a few movies that I wouldn't be able to see here in Canada, walk around the city I adore, see some friends and just enjoy being in Paris.

I won't be staying at the same apartment I stayed in last time for several reasons. In fact, I'll be staying in a completely different neighbourhood: the 5th arrondissement. I stayed in the 5th the first time I went to Paris in 1977 (so long ago!), so it will really be a new experience for me. I got extremely attached to the 11th, and once attached, I'm loathe to change, but I think this will be good for me.

Stayed tuned for pictures!

2 comments: